Cleaning and Caring for Sterling Silver
925 sterling silver, in the form of fine jewelry, needs careful care and cleaning to preserve its original glow. What's the good news? Silver cleanings can be simple and easy if you store them properly and maintain them regularly to avoid the dreaded tarnish.
Storing Sterling Silver
Sterling silver jewels should be stored properly to maintain their lustre and avoid oxidation, which can cause dullness and discolouration. We've compiled a list of fast tips for storing fine sterling silver below:
Fast Storage Tips for Sterling Silver:
- Each piece should be placed separately in its case, pouch, or compartment to avoid scratches.
- Keep sterling silver in a dry, cool setting. It should be kept in an air-conditioned space in hot climates.
- Keep your jewelry boxes out of the bathroom, as the moist, warm air will dull the shine of your sterling.
- Keep your sterling silver jewellery in a case lined with tarnish-resistant material for the best results.
- If you're going to keep a sterling silver item for a long time, put it in an airtight bag (plastic will suffice) to keep it safe from oxidation and humidity.
Maintaining Sterling Silver Jewels
Dirt, makeup powder, and skin oils will collect on the surface of your sterling silver jewellery over time, dulling and clouding the metal. The use of chemical liquid jewellery cleaners regularly is generally discouraged, as they can cause metal discolouration. Wiping sterling silver gently with a soft cloth is the easiest and most convenient way to polish it. Scratching may occur if coarse fibres or materials, such as paper or polyester, are used. To regain the shine and brilliance of your sterling silver, wipe it down as much as you want.
Here are a few DIY Variations:
2. Before keeping a silver piece for an extended period of time, it's also a good idea to give it a thorough cleaning. A deeper cleaning can be needed for silver that has been tarnished to some extent. To remove silver tarnish, apply a small amount of mild detergent to the piece and rub it in with a damp cloth or your fingers. Stop scrubbing the silver with some sort of brush to avoid scratching and dullness. Following these simple storage and cleaning tips for sterling silver will help to maintain the precious metal's natural beauty and shine, guaranteeing years of enjoyment from your investment.